The Bent Fork - California Cuisine… Take One Rock Sugar

The Bent Fork - California Cuisine… Take One
Rock Sugar

I recently returned from a trip to Los Angeles - and one of the highlights of my time away was a variety of nights out that allowed me to taste the very best California has to offer. From the busy streets of L.A. to the windy beaches of Manhattan Beach, my adventures as a food connoisseur where both delightful and delicious - from start to finish.
I would like to give you the full spectrum of my summer get-a-way, and will be posting a few installations of what I like to call “California Cuisine”.
One of the memorable dining experiences during my time in Los Angeles was at Century City based restaurant Rock Sugar. To say I love asian cuisine is an understatement. (I often picture heaven as the ultimate chinese buffet filled to brim with soup, dumplings, rice and stir fry - We can dream, can’t we?) And when we decided to try out the pan asian themed restaurant right off of Santa Monica Boulevard, I knew I was in for a treat.
When you enter the broad entrance of Rock Sugar, you are overwhelmed with walls of glass tile, burning lanterns, and carved woodwork. The stunning embellishments and decor are overwhelming. You can only hope for a dining experience as exquisite as the restaurant itself. And lucky for me, it was.
Going with a large group of friends gives you the opportunity to test out a variety of course selections - I always mull over whether I should try an appetizer, eventually deciding it’s better to rely on an entree. But group outings always seem to inspire a greater sense of adventure when browsing a new menu, and we decided to order an assortment of appetizers to share. While overall, every dish filling our table was delish, there were a few favorites I must mention…
Glazed Pork Belly Buns. I know what you’re thinking - daring choice. But let me tell you, this was a true treat. If you have never taken the plunge to try pork belly and find yourself within the walls of Rock Sugar, this is a must. It is one of those unpredictably tasty treats that will leave you asking yourself “why have I not tried pork belly before”? This delicious combination includes kurobuta pork, pickled red onions, shallot mayo, chilies and cilantro.
Crispy Samosas. As good as the name sounds. The chicken samosas are served with a cilantro yogurt sauce that is simply lovely. The savory fried samosas dipped in sweet yogurt left me completely satisfied, and I found myself ordering a second round to appease my newfound devotion. 
If you find yourself on the busy streets of Los Angeles, looking for an evening of shopping and food, stop at Century City Plaza. You’ll find a fantastic variety of shopping, and the lovely Rock Sugar to boot!

Comments

Popular Posts